Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Christmas Knitting...

I wasn't sure what I would be able to post in the next few weeks since so much of what I'm knitting is going to be gifts for people who may read this blog. (People who *don't* read my blog are usually deemed unworthy of knitted gifts - sorry!) However, one gift I'm making can be mentioned on this blog - the hat I'm going to make for the husband.

I may have posted eariler that I have already made a crocheted cap for DH. He wears it sometimes, but the openness of the double crochet makes it unusable on really cold days and I haven't gotten around to lining it yet. So...hubby has started asking for another hat...here's his request: "a hat like the other one, only with smaller holes and a skier on the side"

"a skier on the side" means he wants a colorwork image of a skier, similar to the Atari-era Indiana Jones I put on Linc's knitted hat last year.

This presents me with 2 problems: 1) I don't know how, nor do I want to know how, to do intarsia in crochet, and 2) I used an online image of Indiana Jones to make Linc's hat (no big deal since he's just 10 pixels)...there is No Way In Heck I could design a skier motif.

What do I do? Do I ... Make a knitted cap and try to find a simple skier design to incorporate? Make a crocheted cap with just a stripe? Or do I chuck the whole thing and buy him a pair of gloves instead? What would you do?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd knit the hat and design a skier for the side. If you use the same yarn and find a suitable stitch pattern it shouldn't be that hard. Of course, the operative word in that sentence is shouldn't... ;)

Terri said...

I think I would knit the hat, but rather than adding a skier I would add a pair of crossed skis and possibly the poles. The equipment would still give the skiing theme, but without the design issues of trying to create a skier.

Unknown said...

There's a pattern on Knitty for a chullo with a skier motif; I think it's called Crosscountry. You could modify that, or just knit it as is, if your hubby isn't too picky.

Linda said...

Thanks for the advice! I'll show the cross-country to Scott, although I predict his answer will be "I'm a *downhill* skier". Yes, he is *that* picky (don't even ask about his aversion to button-down collars on his dress shirts)