Monday, March 17, 2008

Swatch Power!!

This weekend I swatched and actually cast-on for Currer! Yay me!!

I am really glad I swatched. The pattern calls for size 8 needles. I first knitted a generous swatch using size 7's (I always need to go down at least one needle size), and was delighted that my gauge was spot-on - both stitch and row. The pattern says row gauge matters, too. I then did the unthinkable...I WASHED my swatch!

Can you guess what happened? My gauge changed! I think it is becuase of the high cotton content of the Sierra. Anyway, I'm glad I waited to cast-on until my swatch was washed.

On to swatch 2...I knited a less-than-generous swatch using size 6's. After washing the still-wet swatch was still off-gauge. I did a little tugging here and there, and ended up with the correct gauge (is this okay to tug your swatch to get the right gauge?)

I have now cast-on for currer using the 6's. I have gone through and converted every reference to "inches" (as in "knit even for 3 inches") to # of rows so that the length will be correct after blocking.

I'm feeling pretty smart right now. Did I do the right thing?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh...the conversions sound great, but I've never washed a swatch, so (as usual) I'm no help there..... Glad you're finally getting to play with the new project, though!!

Unknown said...

Now you know why you've never seen any projects on my blog involving garments! I doubt I'll ever have the courage to do this sort of knitting----it's too scary!

Anne.

Terri said...

I have never washed my swatches (enter guilt), but it sounds like you might need a little QA time with a forensic knitter about the stretch/swatch question. Cindy, at The Studio, is such a person that may be able to help. I would ask her as she really is a detail person. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I looked online and everything I found on treble crochet together looked like just what Christy hit on...isn't it great to have our own personal expert?!?