Thursday, April 12, 2007

Barbara Walker, here I come!

I've had Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top for quite a while, but I've never actually tried knitting my own design based on it. I managed to snag some Lion Brand Cotton-Ease from Michaels a couple of weeks ago, and decided it was time for me to finally "Walker-fy" meself and try out the Cotton-Ease. Here's what I've done so far:



It doesn't look like much yet, but I've acutally done quite a bit of work measuring, gauging, and swatching. I'm doing a sleeveless sweater, which calls for an invisible cast-on. Barbara provides one cast-on in her book, but I decided to use the fabulous cast-on I learned in my toe-up sock class. You can see in the photo that there is one set of Knitpicks circulars that I am currently using to knit the back, and the other circular needle cable is holding the stitches that will eventually be the front.

I believe that any knitting design should focus on the unique properties of knitted fabric - ie the ability to do lace, cabling, etc. With that in mind, I've been scouring my "Knitting onf the Edge" book to find a nice little pattern insert to do on the front of the vest. I had one all picked out, but when I swatched it I realized that I wouldn't be able to convert the pattern to "in the round" when I finally connect the front and back. So the search continues...

No comments: